Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Almost Home!

I thought sharing a blog about our trip would be a fun project to work on while sitting at the airport. Plus, sharing the photos we took with the world will provide some motivation for me to organize the pictures and present them in a logical manner, as opposed to leaving the files sitting in a directory on my computer or on a memory stick, never to be touched again. Please let me know what you think of my first blog, I would like to improve.

Sometimes traveling can be a bit tiring and tedious. However, traveling with my love made it much more enjoyable. Whenever I felt bored or uninterested in my surroundings, I had a very interesting friend to talk with. If I was sore or tired, Kate would rub my neck and show me kindness and love. It was great!

Right now, Kate and I are sitting in the Montgomery, Alabama airport waiting for our flight to Houston, Texas. From Texas, we will change plane and then continue on to Albuquerque. Kate is reading a novel, and I am working on a blog; we both are very attentive to the numerous announcements about security, boarding time and other air port announcements.

I wanted to travel to Auburn Alabama to visit the university. My favorite professor from New Mexico Tech, Dr. Xiao Qin, accepted a faculty position at Auburn and has been very interested in recruiting me for the computer science Ph.D. program there. Right now, I am still not sure if I want to get a Ph.D. However, I am sure that if I do, I would like to work with Dr. Qin.


This image is of the
beautiful pharmacy building on campus at Auburn. It was an interesting blend of modern and what I imagine is traditional Southern architecture. Like most buildings on campus, it was constructed from red brick and had very tall white columns. Kate was able to meet with Charles Woosley, Pharm. D, Director of Recruitment. Dr. Woosley was extremely nice! He spent almost an hour meeting with Kate to go over what she would need to accomplish before she would be admitted to the pharmacy program at Auburn. Auburn has a few different requirements than the University of New Mexico, but Kate could accomplish them.

Kate, Dr. Qin and I were walking along the building and we happened upon the pharmacy receptionist. Dr. Qin took the lead and asked her if there was anyone to talk with about admission to the pharmacy program. The friendly receptionist introduced Kate to Dr. Woosley, and then they started talking. We didn't have an appointment, or any prior communication. 45 minutes later, Kate and Dr. Woosley finished talking and we began our tour of the pharmacy building. I was extremely surprised by how friendly everyone was and how much time we were able to take without any kind of appointment. From my short visit, Auburn seems like a very friendly big school.

No comments: